Saturday, August 20, 2011

200 Word Writing Challenge: The Muse

I am part of a writers group that hosts a monthly writing challenge. This month the challenge is to write about your muse. More specifically: "Write - in 200 words or less - a description of your literary muse, real or imagined. What is your relationship? What does your muse look like?" Here was my entry:

 “The page is still blank.”

“Thank you for that observation, I was wondering why there weren't words there.”

“Someone is in a mood today.”

“You're late.”

“I am not bound by your mortal schedule. I arrive when I arrive.”

“Tell me about it. I've been staring at this blank page for over an hour waiting for you to show up.”

“Did it ever occur to you that maybe I can't arrive until you are ready to receive me?”

“Oh, so it's my fault now? You know, I never have this kind of trouble with Inspiration.”

Inspiration, pfah. He is fickle. All style and no substance. Don't be so easily seduced by his charms, he never finishes what he starts.”

“Do you think it would be possible for us to get started? Unlike you, I've been here for a while.”

“You test my patience child. Still, despite your attitude, I am inclined to indulge you. What are we writing about?”

“Our relationship, coincidentally.”

“Really? Well then, I have just the thing. Take this down, 'The page is still blank'.”

2 comments:

  1. Maybe if your Muse gave it up more often to Inspiration he would feel more inclined to commit.

    (I know this is a year old but I couldn't help myself. Hope you don't mind because Inspiration just showed up for a romp. Now I would like to write my own "Absentee Muse" story. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By all means, comment away. Don't let the time-stamp stop you.

    I'm happy to see that something I did has inspired you to be more creative! (Even if he is fickle.)

    It makes me feel all warm and squishy, like the center of a freshly baked cookie.

    ReplyDelete